Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Celebrations

No, it wasn't a birthday, or even a holiday.  Today I'm celebrating two things, and they both have to do with Collin.

#1 - Talking

At Collin's 2-year check up, I was getting worried because he wasn't talking as much as I expected a 2-year-old to talk.  He could say 2 word phrases, but most often I was the only one that understood him.  The Dr. told me that I shouldn't worry just yet.  If in the next 6 months Collin's vocabulary and speaking ability hadn't improved drastically, then I could call in and make an appointment for some tests to be done.  Well I'm pleased to say that its only been 4 months, and he's grown leaps and bounds in that area.  For example: Today we were at Target picking up some deals and a woman with arms full of t-shirts passed the cart where Collin was sitting.  Collin clearly said, "Hello!  What you doing?"  She chuckled and said, "Hello!  I'm buying t-shirts!"  Collin said, "Oh," and then went back to trying to take the lid off the deodorant in the cart.  Huzzah!  Someone else (besides me or Greg) can have a "conversation" with our little guy!!

#2 - He drank MILK from a cup!

It's been a year, a YEAR people, since Collin last drank milk.  I'd tried everything: buying new cups (bottle-like, with a straw, fun characters, etc), making it chocolate or strawberry milk, drinking with him (he didn't more than let it touch his tongue), etc.  But nothing was working.  At the 2-year check up, this was what the Dr. was worried about.  I told him that Collin occasionally ate cheese, and had at least one yogurt a day, but that was probably all the dairy he was getting.  The Dr. told me to up the cheese and yogurt intake and just keep trying with the milk.  Finally I got an idea.  Maybe if we made it something special, and something fun with Mama and Daddy, maybe he might drink it.  We've now had 3 "Milk Parties", where we all get a cup, a colored straw, and to choose our flavor of milk.  The first one Collin drank about 1/4 of his cup of milk.  The second one, about 1/2.  AND then two days ago, he drank almost the whole cup.  Then yesterday he ASKED for a cup of milk for lunch, PLUS drank another one from his straw cup before bed!!!  Wahoo!!!  Granted, they've all been strawberry milk, but I'll take it.  We can work on switching to plain milk after he's a regular strawberry milk drinker.

1 comment: