Sunday, November 9, 2008

Halloween and such.

Ahh! It's been so long since I posted, now I'm going to have to simplify or write forever.
Greg and I just got called to be on the Activities Committee the Sunday before Halloween. It gave us a good excuse to get dressed up and go to our ward's Halloween Party.
The problem came with costumes. Two years ago I made a "princess" costume to wear to school. I called myself the good witch from Wizard of Oz. I wore that costume last year as well, being Gelinda again during the day, and then Peach, Mario's princess that night. So when Greg wanted to be Mario again, you can't blame me for wanting to try out a different costume. Before we left for DC I decided I would make a poodle skirt and wear that. I never got it started before we left, so I was down to a week when we got back.
Me, being a procrastinator since birth, put it off again to make a costume for a fellow teacher's daughter. (Which turned out adorable!!! Thanks to Tennille for taking it on with me!) So then I had two days to make my skirt. I read through the pattern, and decided to leave out the zipper and put in an elastic. I guess sometimes I think I'm more skilled than I actually am. The two parts of the skirt went together nicely, but then I couldn't fit into the top opening! So, after talking to my sewing buddy, Tennille, I decided to just attempt the elastic waistband. I cut 1/2 an inch off the waist opening, and then measured and sewed in the elastic. Then I tried it on, and it was too big, even about to fall off. So I unpicked (I hate unpicking!) cut an inch and a half off the elastic, and stretched it again around the top of the skirt. After sewing this in, I was down to about 30 minutes left til we needed to leave for the ward Halloween party, so I just left it even though it was still a little big, and sewed the waistband over the elastic.
At the Halloween Party, most couples were dressed as pairs. There were two Star Trek characters, Mr. and Mrs. Pacman, The Addams Family, Sonny and Cher, and a disected frog and scientist. It was fun to see what everyone came up with. Greg and I remembered that we love to dance, and spent most of our time on the dance floor. We really had fun.
We had plans to carve pumpkins when we got home, but we were just so tired that we put in Red Eye and then went to bed.
Part of me is so excited to have children and to dress them up, and the entire family up, but after the costumes that my students were wearing (I think there was like 5 "punks", 3 dead people, 2 witches, a movie star, a ghost, a princess, etc.) I realized that I probably won't have the pull that I'd want on this silly and so fun holiday. Oh well. I'm sure if I show my enthusiasm for the holiday, it will be fun anyway.

1 comment:

  1. hello friend... i've missed you. fun post!! do more.

    ReplyDelete